Skip to main content

Ambidextrous ergonomic keyboard and trackpad that others won't borrow.

I had problems with my hands about 12 years ago.  My right elbow and shoulder hurt and my hands had a dull ache.  I was able to fix my right arm by moving the mouse from the right hand side to the left hand side of my keyboard.  This brought it in closer because the left hand side of the keyboard is closer to the user because it doesn't have a numeric pad on that side. It still wasn't perfect.I wanted to fix both my hand and shoulder worries with a balanced keyboard and trackpad approach. 

The keyboard fix involves using a keyboard designed around the movement of human hands and arms. In my case this turned out to be the Kinesis Advantage keyboard with the Cherry mechanical key switches.  Keyboard snobs really like the mechanical switches. I understand why after 10 years on my original keyboard. They have a great feel.  The Kinesis Advantage moves some of the most common keys from the weak pinky fingers to to the more powerful thumbs.  Kenisis splits the keyboard so that the user's hands are closer to shoulder width apart.  The keys and key wells are cupped and sloped to limit the amount of hand and finger travel required for typing.  The keyboard also has the advantage that it is relatively narrow saving desk or keyboard tray space. The main downside is the learning curve. It took about 2-3 weeks of exclusive use to become proficient. 

The Kinesis Advantage has an open space between the two key wells that seems like the perfect place for a pointing device that can be used by both the left and the right hand.  I thought about mounting a trackball or IBM style stick pointing device.  I really wanted something larger that didn't have right/left handed buttons and fully supported gestures. There are small trackapds available on EBay.  None of them were large enough for me to easily drag across a multiple monitor setup.  FingerWorks used to make the large iGesture capacitive full gesture track-pad before they were bought by Apple.  Their technology got rolled into the Macbook zero-button trackpads and the Apple Magic Track-pad.  I attach the trackpad to the center of the keyboard with Velcro. I can use either my left or right hand with the trackpad in this position.  


I own two of these setups, one for home and one for work.  My hand and shoulder discomfort is probably 10%  or less than it used to be. It always surprises me that people will buy an expensive monitor and then the cheapest keyboard and mouse they can fine.  A techie's hands are their tools. Their value makes them worth the cost of a customized solution.

This keyboard trackpad combination has the side benefit that no one every wants to use your computer while you are away. They have no idea how to operate the keyboard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Capital One Arena Etihad Airways Lounge

The Etihad Airways Lounge is a limited-access venue on the Event level, 2-3 flights of stairs from the main concourse level.  Lounge access comes with some seats or can be purchased at certain times as part of packages.  I got one-time access as part of a ticket charity auction. You can gain access to the event via the stairwell opposite aisle 108 on the concourse level.  It feels like 3 flights of stairs going down. There is also an elevator at the top of the stairs on the concourse level. There was an elevator operator in the elevator the day we went.  It feels like the venue was jammed into some empty place under the event floor but it still works. They scan your lounge pass at the entrance and then give you a wristband that you use for later access.  This was a fast process.  The scanning entry area is small and I could see people getting caught on the stairs if they came in closer to game time.   The lounge opened about 1 hour before the game and stayed open until the end of the 2

Suzuki S40 650cc Single Cylinder

The Suzuki S40 is the latest incarnation of the LS650 made since 1986.  It is a beginner and in town motorcycle that is 352lbs, only 50lbs heavier than the MSF course bikes. You can find them used on Craigslist at reasonable prices.  Sellers are a mix of those moving and those who realized that riding a motorcycle wasn't for them.  My bike is pictured below with the OEM windsheld and Shad top case. This is an old picture. I've mad a couple modifications to my S40 Headlight Upgrade I'm always looking to make myslef more visible so did a simple headlight upgrade.  A stock 5 1/4" headlight is standard, shown on the right.  The mounting holes and rake of the S40 are the same as the larger Suzuki Marauder so they are a direct swap. I purchased mine on EBay from Pinwall Cycles.  It came off of a bike they were parting ouit and was in excellent condition.  Make sure that you get the base and the bell. You can see the difference between the size of the standard S4

What's to eat at Merriweather Post Pavilion

Merriweather Post Pavillion is an outdoor music venue in Columbia Maryland. http://www.merriweathermusic.com/ Merriweather Post Pavillion has more food and refreshment options than a lot of venues we've been too. This sign shows the types of food and where they are located.  The next picture shows the other half of the billboard with a map to each of the locations.  I forgot to take picture of the lower right of the directory. Folks looking for beer, mixed drinks, frozen drinks and other alcoholic beverages will have to do their own scouting. Merriweather Post Pavilion Food and drink map.